Tri-Borough Area Susquehanna Depot, Lanesboro and Oakland Boroughs
Main Street, Susquehanna Depot
Susquehanna Depot is home to three historic churches: the Grace Episcopal, the United Methodist, and St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church. Susquehanna Depot, recently refurbished its historic district including sidewalks, curbing, and lighting in preparation for the borough’s sesquicentennial in 2003.
The new Susquehanna Depot branch of the County Library system opened in February 2002 in a building shared with Susquehanna Borough Offices. With additional parking and easy handicapped access, the new branch library’s patronage has significantly increased.
Frank J. Reddon Sports Complex includes a softball field, a little league baseball field, and a walking trail. The park’s baseball field is lighted for night games.
The Tri-Borough area is home to Barnes-Kasson hospital, which provides 54 acute acre beds and includes an Intensive Care Unit, a Cardiac Care Unit, along with medical, surgical, OB/GYN services and a 24 hour emergency room. The Barnes-Kasson Health Center network, under a separate business umbrella, operates four physician-care facilities located in Susquehanna, New Milford, Hallstead and Lenox.
The Starrucca Viaduct, built in the early 1800’s of locally quarried Pennsylvania Bluestone is now a National Civil Engineering Landmark.
Susquehanna Depot was once the site of an Erie Motive Power Shop that included a roundhouse, a boiler shop, a blacksmith’s shop, an engine room, a pattern shop, along with a foundry and a hammer shop. The shop built locomotive and refurbished railroad cars until the mid-1960’s.
The Susquehanna Depot Area Historical Society operates a museum in the Shops Plaza has many artifacts that are related to the railroad. The town’s former railroad depot is now the Starrucca House, a banquet facility.