The Sheriff’s office is responsible for issuing pistol permits, processing of civil complaints, executing warrants of arrest and transporting prisoners to and from state and county correctional facilities statewide and interstate. This office also processes and conducts Sheriff’s sales of real estate and personal property.
The mission of the Susquehanna County Sheriff's Office is to protect and serve the residents of Susquehanna County and provide quality services to our taxpaying citizens with Honesty, Integrity and Transparency.
The Office of Sheriff will not discriminate based on race, color, gender, age, handicap or disability, sexual orientation or their economic status.
- Serve and enforce all orders of the courts such as Warrants, Protection from Abuses and writs including Sheriff Sales of Real Estate and Personal Property
- Provide security for all county owned property as well as the Courts
- Assist all Law Enforcement agencies Municipal, County, State and Federal
- Issue Licenses for Concealed Carry, License to Sell Firearms and Precious Metals
- Transport prisoners for court appearances from County, State Institutions and extradite fugitives from adjoining states
As your Sheriff, I recognize that I am given a special trust and I will never forget who put me in Office and that I work for you the citizens of Susquehanna County.
I will act with the highest of standards and professionalism and follow the code of Ethics and remember my Oath that I swore to uphold.
Properties sold by the Sheriff of Susquehanna County are mortgage and judgment defaults. All sales are held in the Sheriff's Office at 31 Lake Ave, Montrose, Pa 18801 at the time indicated on the notice / hand bill.
- Sales are conducted by open bidding and you will be bidding against the lien holder / agent (a representative).
- The lien holder has a predetermined amount that they will bid to. This is called the "upset price". Only the lien holder, on day of sale, knows what this amount will be. It may be more or less than the judgment amount. It is your responsibility to contact the lien holder for additional information
- All bids, plus 2% poundage must be paid in cash, cashier's check or certified check made payable to the Susquehanna County Sheriff prior to close of business on the date of sale or the deed will NOT be acknowledged.
- The debtors own the properties until they are sold on the day of the sale.
- The Sheriff Office does not and can NOT give physical access to the properties listed for sale, please respect the privacy of others.
- Properties are sole "AS IS" and the Sheriff is not responsible.
- It is your responsibility to seek assistance in searching properties. This ,ay be obtained through attorneys or title searchers to determine possible liens for which the buyer may be responsible.
- Please contact the Real Estate Clerk at 570-278-6653 for questions pertaining to the amount owed to the executing creditor along with Sheriff fees and any additional costs.
- A schedule of distribution of the proceeds from the sale will be prepared within thirty days.
- Money collected by the Sheriff are paid in priority order to creditors / lien holders unless objections to the schedule of distribution are filed within 10 days of the sale.
- If you have additional questions concerning the purchase of a property at Sheriff's sale or the filing of any legal pleading, please consult with your attorney.
- Susquehanna County Sheriff's Office DOES NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE
Click here to continue to view current sale listings
Public Warrant Portal
As you will see, anyone with an active bench warrant issued by the Court of Common Pleas name will appear here on this list.
The Sheriff's Office will make every effort to ensure the information is correct and to remove the names in a timely manner when the subject is apprehended, or warrant is vacated.
With that having been said when a name appears and you have information, we ask that you please call our office at 570-278-6650 or 6652 with that information. If it is beyond business hours, please leave a message. OR CALL 570-465-9111 Susquehanna County Emergency Dispatch Center.
Never attempt to apprehend someone on your own, simply call the Sheriff's Office or your Local Police who will verify that the warrant is valid.
If the warrant is listed as Probation, please call the Adult Probation Office at 570-278-5930 so that the appropriate notice may be given to the officer. OR CALL 570-465-9113 Susquehanna County Emergency Dispatch Center who will page the on-call officer.
NOTICE: providing false information to Law Enforcement regarding a wanted person under title 18 Section 4904 is a misdemeanor of the second degree if done so with the intent to mislead a public servant in performing his/her official function.
Lance M Benedict, Sheriff
License to Carry Application
The License to Carry Application can be downloaded here, filled out and returned to the Sheriff’s office. It must be in person.
Free Gun Locks and safety kits are available at the Sheriff’s Office
If you own a gun, you need a lock!
Current Fee Schedule
WRIT OF EXECUTION – MORTGAGE FORECLOSURE $2,500.00
Required Documents: Writ Package
Original Writ of Execution: including address and legal description of property including parcel ID for sheriff’s sale, sealed for service on each Defendant and posting.
Notice of Sheriff’s Sale and Claim for Exemption: To include a blank area for the Date and Time of Sheriff’s Sale scheduled by the Real Estate Clerk. Copies for service on each Defendant and posting.
Affidavit 3129 – list of lienholders
These documents can be forwarded from the Prothonotary as a rule. To include a letter of instruction for purposes of service upon defendants. Should defendant’s reside in other counties, please include deposits for other County offices.
WRIT OF EXECUTION – PERSONAL PROPERTY $200.00
Original Writ of Execution: sealed with Copies to serve, 1 per defendant 2 per garnishees.
Interrogatories – 2 copies if there is a bank attachment
Notice and Claim for exemption form- one per Defendant
WRIT OF POSSESSIONS $200.00
Original Writ and copies for each Defendant
MAGISTRATE EXECUTIONS $200.00
ORDER OF POSSESSION (MAGISTRATE) $150.00
CIVIL COMPLAINTS $100.00
Certified Court Documents with cover sheet
Letter of Instruction.
31 Lake Avenue (PO Box 218)
Montrose, PA 18801
Office Hours 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Civil / Criminal (570) 278-4600 ext. 4075 or 4076
Real Estate Sales (570) 278-6653
License to Carry (570) 278-4600 ext. 6616
Fax Number (570) 278-2853
Please call the office prior to faxing a Protection From Abuse Order